Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Link til test av Alpine 9887 vs Pioneer DEH-P88RS II (USA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Link til test av Alpine 9887 vs Pioneer DEH-P88RS II (USA)

So I've been using the 880PRS since early January this year with the iPod adaptor. I've gotten used to the unit, and the menu grew on me. However since having used the CDA9857's full speed iPod control I've been desiring better ipod controls. Anyway I've been patiently waiting for the CDA9887 to come out, so it finally goes. I got this unit today and I installed it earlier tonight. This is a review for the CDA9887 vs the DEH-P880PRS.

Fit, finish and installation:

Despite the the manual open face of the Alpine the fit and finish is better. When the 880prs was installed with the face closed I can wiggle the faceplate, and there would be some play in there. Which was a turn off. The Alpine fits tight, when the face is pushed closed, a nice audible click giving you that secure feeling. The face has absolutely no play. Also the face barely sticks out much because it has a thinner faceplate.
    The ipod module for the Pioneer is rather annoying. Its a separate module that is about 4"x3" that you have to hide some where, and also provide power and ground for. The Alpine is just a acble that plugs straight into the back of the headunit. Thats an obvious choice there.
    So the Alpine has the win in this department over the Pioneer.

Menus and options:
    I've gotten rather used to the Pioneers menu so I might be a little biased. I've used many Alpines but getting aquainted with the 9887 makes my familiar knowledge of prior Alpines some what useless. I like how the 880 you can use the right wheel to scroll through. It makes it easy for me. Versus the different buttons you have to press to get to this menu, and some menus you have to press and hold. Its not quite so intuitive.
    As far as options I prefer the Alpine hands down. I have to comment on the blackout feature on both. The blackout feature on the 880 is a joke, while the screen blacks out, the buttons are still brightly lit, renders the feature almost useless. The Alpine blacks out completely leaving a small red led on to the right side of the face which is barely noticable. I love the biolite display, I much prefer it over the eL display. Though the eL display isn't too shabby I just think the biolite is easier on the eyes and copes with reflections better. Feature for feature both are relatively the same. However the Alpine is bluetooth capable, HD radio ready, audyssey ready and a few other gimmicky features. But its not really fair to compare headunits that are about a year apart since technology can be vast in a years time. Also I want to add the sub volume only a push of a button away on the Alpine is much better versus having to go into the crossover menu to adjust the sub gains up and down on the Pioneer.
    The Alpine has a slight edge due to the sub volume.

iPod control:
    The biggest reason for me to leave Pioneer and into Alpine is the iPod control. A single $31.99 retail cable versus a $99.99? retail module. The Alpine is a simple plug and play. While the Pioneer you have to hide the module and also provide power and ground for it. The controls on both units are relatively the same. However the Alpine loads up much faster and offers more flexibility. There are 2 buttons on the faceplate that allows you to skip or go back to the previous playlists. Skipping playlists is a very nice touch. The Pioneer if I even wanted to scroll through the playlist to search for my next song it would take a few seconds just to load up the songs adjacent to the beginning of the search. Its rather frustrating and annoying. You would think that with a module that big speeds would be faster.

I give iPod controls to the Alpine for the simplicity of the plug and play cable, also the faster control and flexibility.

Rca outputs:

Not too much to say here except that the Alpine has much stronger outputs. I was rather surprised.

Advantage Alpine

Remotes:

I actually loved the Pioneers remote, its pretty intuitive and everything was accessible on the remote. The Alpine remote isn't worth the plastic its molded in. The buttons are stiff, you have to aim straight at the face, and you have to push the buttons hard. Sometimes Im pushing the buttons in, and nothing is happening when I'm aiming right at the radio. Absurd!

Hands down the Pioneer has a better remote.

Sound:
    After adjusting to gains to match. Before I elaborate into the sound I want to describe the sound differences. The Pioneer has a warmer sound, versus the Alpine. Anyway both are good sounding headunits however even adjusting the gains to match the stronger outputs from the 9887 I still found that the 9887 had a more crisp sound. The piano sounds awesome and spacious. The acoustic guitar I can hear the guitarist finger strike against the string. I can almost picture how the finger plucks against the string as the sound resonates through the body of the guitar. Now I could hear all that on the 880 however not quite as effortless and enticing. The noise level is also noticibly lower on the 9887. And I have one of the 880s that didn't have a noise issue. I can just tell that when I listen to the alpine the noise level is to a minimum even when the gains on the amp were higher in the initial listening. The sub blends slightly better on the Alpine. My midbass response is snappier on the Alpine but had more extention on the Pioneer.

Advantage Alpine

Stage and imaging:

I haven't had tons of time on the 9887 but after everything is dialed it I notice slight but obvious enough differences. I had a dead center image from my Lotuses when I had the Pioneer on a bad day it wander slightly. And also the height of my stage was about 2-3 inches above my dash. Since the transition to the Alpine my center image is still there however it wanders some. It stays in the general area but it wanders in that area. And my stage height is now dash level.

Advantage Pioneer.

Eq, crossover and time alignment:

I prefer parametric eq over graphic. However the 16 band independent graphic eq on the Pioneer is nothing to sneeze at. It was very functional and more than enough for most. The independent L/R control is a great option. The Alpines 7 band graphic eq doesn't stand a chance. The 5 band p-eq on the Alpine is ok adjustable Qs, gains, and frequency. Nothing special. Though the P-eq is rather inflexible as mentioned by Mach y in his review. The inability to overlapp the frequencies of the P-eq in the Alpine is rather frustrating and annoying.
    Time alignment is the same on both units. Though the Alpine allows you to use cm or inches. Nice touch. I prefer the display of the TA on the Pioneer better. Its more intuitive.
    The crossover on the Pioneer took a while to get used to in the beginning menu wise. But when comparing the two side by side the Alpine allowed you to have independent L/R control of the crossover. And also the frequencies allowed are more flexible. And also as mentioned by many before allows the option of using a passive crossover, or an external active crossover to create a 3 way front stage.

Illumination:
    I drive a VW my instrument cluster is blue, and my dash is amberish. The 880s bluish or white display is nice, but rather bright and obnoxious. Its hard to match anything out there. The Alpine has 5 display options. The amber option didn't match my dash perfectly but close enough for me not to complain. I will post up pictures of the display in amber for those who are curious.

Advantage Alpine

Eq: Pioneer hands down
    TA: toss up
    Crossover: Alpine hands down

disks used:

Steely Dan
    Chesky Ultimate Demostration disk
    Alpine F#1 disk
    Various Telarc cds
    Carlos Heredia
    Fleetwood Mac

All in all I spend about 2.5 hours tonight to play with this radio. I think that I made a great choice and don't plan on looking back. I prefer the Alpine for many reasons. The SQ is more catered to my tastes, ipod controls are better for the impatient type, crossover allows room for growth, the stronger outputs leave less room for noise and the list goes on and on. Though the Pioneer has a nicer remote, better soundstage, etc. I still feel that overall package the Alpine is a better head unit for me. Hope this review helped.

Direktelink: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...er-880prs.html

PS: Syns det var en fin test som også gjenspeilte et par av mine erfaringer fra et par år tilbake, med Alpine 9885R vs Pioneer DEH-P800RS; som at Pioneer låter varmere og har bedre EQ. To veldig gode grunner for å velge Pioneer for meg personlig.

Og til de som ikke har fått det med seg: Pioneer Premier DEH-P880RS er nord-amerikansk utgave av DEH-P88RS II, og DEH-P800RS er samme som DEH-P88RS her i Europa.

Er forskjeller på 9887 og 9887R.
    Runar E. Olsen ~ Moderator
    Kia Cee'd SW 2011 - Blir snart SQ prosjekt.
    http://www.signaturebar.com/uploads/images/67311.gif

Comment

Originally posted by GENEXXA View Post
      Er ikke det bare om det er med eller uten RDS og oddetallsradio?

Comment

Nei.

9887R har 4x60watt mosfet forsterker
        9887 har 4x50watt mosfet forsterker

9887 har HD Radio, det har ikke 9887R

Er flere forskjeller, men det finner du i manualene som kan lastes ned.

Comment

Originally posted by GENEXXA View Post
          Det er forskjell på Volvo V40 og V70 også, men jeg ser ikke relevansen av det heller i denne sammenhengen...

Comment

Originally posted by trustno1 View Post
            Er ikke det bare om det er med eller uten RDS og oddetallsradio?
            Korrekt (titegn)
            Torbjørn J. - [B]PM er deaktivert, bruk e-post.[/B]
            [B]Bilen[/B]: Pioneer p99rs - Mcintosh MC431 - Brax X2000.2 - Mosconi 300.2
            Hjemme: Yamaha RXA3010 | XPA-5 x 2 | Emotiva ERT-8.3 | ERM-6.3 | ERD-1 x 4 | HFS sub * 2 | SVS AS-EQ1

Comment

Originally posted by ugn View Post
              Korrekt (titegn)
              Uncorrect.

Men ser den Miniboom.
              Skrev det siden du skrev noe om likhetene på forskjellige Pioneer spillere.

Comment

Working...
              X